Plants play a huge role in our surroundings, culture, and life. Because this is a popular time of year to purchase plants for your home or garden, we want to share this list of plants to steer clear of if you have furry friends at home.
So, while you are deciding on which green pet to add to your collection, make sure it is safe for everyone your household.
There are more than 100 species of houseplants that are toxic to pets.Some are far more popular than others, so although we cannot cover all of them, here is a list of common poisonous plants to avoid:
The phenanthridine alkaloids in the plant can cause hypotension, respiratory depression, and vomiting. The raphide oxalate crystals can also cause abdominal discomfort and drooling in pets.
The anthraquinone glycosides in aloe can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and even anorexia.
Severe vomiting and even death can result from the ingestion of this plant’s toxic roots.
Toxicity range from mild to severe. Ingesting the plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, and abnormal heart rate.
Lilies are extremely poisonous to cats. It can cause deadly kidney damage from small ingestion of the pollen, plant and even from the water from the vase. The early signs are inappetence, vomiting, dehydration, and lethargy. If left untreated, it can lead to kidney failure, pancreas inflammation, and death.
Mistletoe is highly poisonous to cats and dogs. It can cause difficulty breathing, low heart rate, vomiting, and diarrhea.
This popular holiday plant contains a milky sap that can cause irritations to the skin, mouth, and stomach.
Ingesting this highly toxic plant can cause vomiting, bloody stools, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, severe liver failure, and death.
There are countless plant varieties available to purchase for your homes and gardens today. Only a fraction of them can be harmful to those curious pets that just want to eat everything in sight.
If you suspect that your pet may have ingested any potential poisonous plant, contact your veterinarian immediately.
Plants are meant to brighten up your space and your mood. A simple check for plant toxicity before purchasing can easily avoid any stressful trips to the vet. Bear in mind that even if the plant is “non-toxic”, it may still cause discomfort if your curious pet likes to nibble. You may want to consider having hanging planters so the plants are out of reach. It is always better to be safe than sorry!
Need some office plant recommendations? Head to our CONTACT FORM to get in touch with our sales team.
If you need some plant suggestions that are safe for pets,