Have you ever had a job where you arrive to work each day and had to force yourself to walk through the front doors? Chances are you have employees who feel the same way from time to time. It’s important to strive to make your workplace a place people want to work. When employees are engaged and feel like the company cares about their needs, the result is higher productivity rates and less employee turnover. Happy employees increase productivity. There are several things that those in leadership roles can do to make the workplace more enjoyable for employees.
Make the Workplace Feel Like a Home
While keeping the company image and safety in mind, allow employees to make their workspaces feel more like a home. Full-time employees spend most of their waking hours during the week at work. It is important that they feel at home while doing their jobs. Being comfortable increases mental focus, and the result is better productivity. Encourage employees to decorate their offices and cubicles with workplace appropriate artwork, trinkets from home, plants, candy dishes, and other items that personalize their space.
Implement Kaizen Events to Increase Productivity
A Kaizen Event is a 5-day program that is aimed at reducing time waste and increasing productivity in the workplace. These events are led by a facilitator. They provide employees with the opportunity to be part of the solution in developing workflow processes that are efficient. Kaizen is a Japanese word for “improvement” and involves a 5-step process:
- Sort: The first step of the Kaizen process is to get rid of the junk. Consider this the spring cleaning phase of the event. Your team cleans out closets, desks, storage rooms, and other areas of the workplace.
- Set in Order: This is the organization phase where your team will create a permanent home for all supplies and equipment so they will always know where to look for things they need in the future.
- Shine: Employees spend this day cleaning and sanitizing the workplace. A clean work environment enhances workplace morale almost instantly.
- Standardize: In this step, employees and their supervisors devise ways to standardize work processes with the goal of increasing productivity, reducing time waste, and creating more efficient practices.
- Sustain: While going about their day-to-day activities, employees will be encouraged to maintain the new work practices and organization techniques they learned during the event.
Kaizen events increase productivity and give employee morale a boost because employees get to be part of the solution and design workflow processes that work well for them.
Relaxing Community Areas
Workplace stress caused by overwhelming workloads, tight deadlines, chaotic schedules, and demanding bosses leads to employees becoming disengaged from the work they are doing. When employees are not engaged, productivity suffers. Provide employees with a place where they can relax and unwind. They should be able to recharge to go back to their desk ready to tackle the next challenge.
- Employee Lounge: Instead of setting up a few tables, chairs, a microwave, and a coffee pot in room and calling it an employee lunchroom, create a tranquil space for your employees to relax during their scheduled breaks. An employee lounge should include comfortable couches, a TV, reading materials, soothing artwork, and even some elements of nature like plants and flowers.
- Community Garden: If your workplace includes an outdoor area or courtyard, provide basic supplies so that employees can work in a community garden together. Gardening is effective at reducing stress as it encourages creativity, focusing on the moment, and learning about the natural elements of the world.
- Exercise Room: There is nothing like a good workout to make a person feel human again. An employee exercise room encourages health and well-being in the workplace. It also provides them with a place to blow off some steam after a hard day. Exercise rooms should include weight equipment, treadmills, a space for yoga, showers, and even exercise balls.
Employees are the heart and soul of any successful business. In order to increase productivity, they need to feel engaged and enjoy coming to work each day. Provide your employees with a better work environment and places they can alleviate stress. As a result, you will get to enjoy lower turnover rates and a better bottom line.