What is a Living Wall?
Cityscapes living walls are self-contained vertical gardens of plants installed into a metal framework and mounted to an existing wall. We choose plant varieties based on the available natural and artificial light levels and design the layout to complement the existing or proposed space. Grow lights mounted above the walls in low-light spaces allow us to install these plants where there is limited natural light exposure.
Our Boston area walls are maintained by Cityscapes’ horticulturalists, who handle any necessary pruning and watering or irrigation adjustments. Walls can be watered by hand or use automated irrigation and drainage systems. Our horticulturalists are trained to respond to plants reacting to the ambient temperature and light level variations that occur over the course of the year.
Prior to installation, plants are treated for fungus gnats and other pests. We also acclimate the plants to the light levels in which they will be permanently located whenever possible.
If you are interested in installing a living wall in your space, please fill out this short form and one of our designers will get back to you within 24 hours to set up a time to walk through your space.
Below are some of the walls Cityscapes has designed, installed, maintained, or more often… all three.
Benefits of Living Walls
- Provide natural air filtration. Plants clean air of pollutants and offsets carbon output of people and fuel emissions.
- Clean interior air space by removing VOC’s and other harmful toxins like benzene and formaldehyde.
- Provide sound insulation and acoustic separation.
- Reduce building cooling load.
- Allow for additional floor space.
- Reduce occupant stress.
- Provide thermal regulation.
- Create ambiance to produce a pleasing, productive environment.
- Contribute toward LEED credits.